Sunday 17 January 2016

Shine Sunday.



Today is the last day of my two-week summer holiday. It's been great to have a decent break from the office but, in truth, I haven't had much of a holiday. I took on two big editing projects, which were amazing, and I did a lot of work towards setting up my editing business. But still, it wasn't a holiday.

My problem is that I have trouble relaxing these days. There's always something that needs doing - and it's always me that has to do it {at least, that's how I see it}. It doesn't help that 2016 promises to be one of my busiest years yet, with a day job to hold down, study to do, and a business to launch.

Anyway, all this got me thinking ... what would it be like to have one day a week in which I allow myself to do whatever I want? One day to sleep in, read a book, walk on the beach, work in the garden? It sounds very appealing!

So I'm starting today. I'm going to try and make every Sunday "Shine Sunday" - my day to relax. It won't always be possible. Next Sunday I have to work; and there may be some Sundays where I choose to work on a project with a tight deadline. But I have promised myself Sundays will be free of housework, study, and business work.

So what's my plan for today? Once I've finished this, I'm going to take the dogs {Monty and Lisa's dog Harry} to the beach for a walk, since it is a glorious day. I'm going to paint my toenails. I'll read some more of this book. I'll write in my journal. This evening I'll watch football on television with my husband. And have an early night, since I have to be at work tomorrow.

What's your favourite way to relax?

Anne-Marie x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anna-Maria: this is a good plan, and I've been thinking about it too. I've been working here with a Jewish woman who observes a strict Sabbath. I was on skype with her on Friday night, and she said "I have 52 minutes left before my Sabbath starts, so we have to be done by then", and she literally finished the call with one minute left. "What do you do on your Sabbath," I asked. "Read a lot, walk, think," she said. I admired that she scheduled it and stuck to it come what may - and thought what a difference it might make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that you mention Sabbath observance because I think that was part of my inspiration for Shine Sunday. I doubt I would - or could - be as strict as many observant Jews, though. Last Sunday was wonderful. As soon as I noticed myself thinking, "I must do ..." I stopped. On Sunday night I felt far more prepared to face Monday than I normally do!

      Delete